For your safety and those who visit your business be sure to follow these guidelines for Christmas tree displays:
Christmas Tree Display
1. Natural cut trees, where allowed by CFC 806.1, shall have the trunk bottoms cut off at least 0.5 inch above the original cut and shall be placed in a supportive device meeting the following:
a. Device shall hold the tree securely, and be adequately sized to prevent tipping.
b. Device shall be capable of containing a minimum two-day supply of water.
c. The water level, when full, shall cover the tree stem at least two inches. The water level shall be maintained above the fresh cut and checked at least once daily.
2. Natural cut trees shall be prohibited in Group A (Assembly), E (Educational), I (Institutional), M (Mercantile), R-1(Transient Occupancies Hotels, Motels, B&B’s, etc.), R-2 (Non-Transient Occupancies, Dormitories, Extended Stay Motels, Time Shares, Apartments (other than dwellings units inside an R-2), etc) and R-4 occupancies (residents between 6 and 16 with 24-hour residential care by a custodian).
a. Trees located in areas protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system shall not be prohibited in Groups A, E, M, R-1 and R-2
b. Trees shall be allowed within dwelling units of Group R-2 occupancies.
3. Trees shall be removed from the building whenever the needles or leaves fall off readily when a branch is shaken or if the needles are brittle and break when bent between thumb and index finger. The tree shall be checked daily for dryness.
4. All trees sprayed with fire retardant material shall have a tag affixed to the base containing the following information:
a. Type of material sprayed on the tree
b. Date the tree was sprayed
c. Name of the person who applied the flame retardant
d. Name of the person affixing the tag
e. Date of placement in the public building
f. The permit expiration date
5. Natural cut trees shall be kept a distance from heat vents and any open flame or heat-producing device at least equal to the height of the tree.
6. The use of unlisted wiring and lighting on natural cut trees and decorative artificial vegetation shall be prohibited. The use of electrical wiring and lighting on artificial trees constructed entirely of metal shall be prohibited.
7. A 2A10BC fire extinguisher shall be visible and accessible within 25’ of the tree display.
Christmas trees displayed for the holiday season shall be subject to field inspection, from time to time to verify the moisture content of the tree and evaluate the potential hazards.
8. The required width of any portion of a means of egress shall not be obstructed by decorative vegetation.
9. Use of extension cords are for temporary use and shall not be affixed to structures, extended through walls, ceiling or floors, under doors, floor coverings, nor shall they be subject to environmental damage or physical impact. Multiplug adapters such as cube adapters or unfused power strips are not allowed. Use power strips that are fused and UL listed.
Click here for a flyer with all of these guidelines or If you have any questions, please call the Healdsburg Fire Department at (707) 431-3360.
We wish you a safe and wonderful Holiday Season!
The Healdsburg Fire Department